ABOUT US - Merchant Iron Works Inc.
- 2001 – Merchant Iron Works and Welding Company founded by David Merchant. The company's primary business was ornamental handrails and gates for residential homeowners and contractors in Sumter, SC. He worked alone out of a rented 1750 square foot warehouse space.
- 2003 – Incorporated as Merchant Iron Works Inc. Purchased and moved into a 12,000 square foot facility in Sumter. Primary fabrication was miscellaneous steel such as stairs and handrails for commercial and industrial projects.
- 2006 – Awarded Sumter, SC Manufacturer of the year
- 2008 – Moved into 32,000 square foot facility in Sumter, SC. The new plant allowed MIW to process larger and heavier projects to serve the growing industrial and commercial customer base.
- 2008 – Awarded Sumter, SC Manufacturer of the year.
- 2012 – Opened sales and project management office in Columbia, SC.
Merchant Iron Works Inc. (MIW) was established in Sumter, SC by David Merchant in 2003 with. David purchased the assets of an existing welding shop from its retiring owners. The business had four employees and specialized in miscellaneous fabrication. Steady growth followed and the company grew to 17 employees primarily fabricating stairs, handrails, and miscellaneous components for bulk material handling systems.
In 2007 MIW relocated to its current facility to meet the needs of its customers. Investments in CNC equipment, technology and people have proven to be the key drivers of MIW’s growth with the most important driver being its people. From senior management to the production employee, it’s the dedication and ability of our now 30+ employees that make Merchant Iron Works Inc. poised for explosive growth in the years to come.